Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Wonder of Butterflies, Frogs and Catie Marie

I have heard it is said, there are Seven Wonders of the World. I know that it’s unlikely that I’ll ever journey far enough to see them. Still, I am content in knowing I can behold many wonders and beautiful things here within my own range of vision. Sometimes in my hurry, I’ve let the beautiful things slip past me unnoticed. That’s what happens when we grow up. We view things in a rush, often failing to see the wonder in something simple. Remember viewing the world as a child? Life brings us so much more joy when we are innocent and willing to see the little things which are the real miracles, the real wonders of life; like the wonders of butterflies, frogs, puppies, and ears. If you’re wondering what kind of miracle is found in those simple things, allow me tell you about Catie Marie. Then you will have a clearer understanding of wonder, of miracles, and just how precious life can be.

On her first birthday, September 26, 2003, Catie was diagnosed with medulloblastoma. That’s a very big word for a very big cancer. Childhood Medullblastoma is a disease in which cancer cells form in the tissues of the brain. In Catie’s case, the cancer showed to be malignant. Because that vicious disease took up residence within her body, Catie was forced to endure 11 surgeries, 36 months of chemotherapy and 30 treatments of radiation. Perhaps if you follow my writing you’ll recall the time that I wrote about her, in June of 2006.

There is so much more about Catie that I didn’t get to share with you. One thing I didn’t mention is that Catie and butterflies go together like toast and jam. Catie’s fascination for butterflies became so great that her dad, Tre, set up a net in their backyard just so Catie could collect all the butterflies that came to visit her. I didn’t tell you how frogs brought her so much laughter, not only because she found it funny that her aunt Tory disliked them, and that she could tease her with them, but also, that she once chose a stuffed frog over a stuffed bear. That was the wonder of Catie. I didn’t mention how at the end of the day, when she was exhausted from the playing, from the many medicines, or from the day to day pain, how her dog, Joey, would take his place protectively by her side. Together they would drift off to a world of make-believe, filled with butterflies and frogs.

Through soft laughter, her mother, Jenny, tells when it was time for Catie to have IV’s, the nurses learned it was best to find a spot on her foot. That allowed her hand to be free, which she used to hold on tenderly to her Mother’s ear while drifting off to sleep. Those are but a few of the little wonders that endeared Catie to everyone.

On January 29, 2007, the miracle that was Catie, at last found complete rest from the pain she suffered. Catie’s battle with cancer ended as she achieved the ultimate healing through death. For those who found joy in watching her chase butterflies, hearing her laughter, for those of us who cheered her along the journey in her battle, for those of us who prayed for her healing, it is a loss greater than words can say. If there is to be any consolation in her passing, then it is that Catie no longer suffers. Her mother says it best, “…she is free from all disease and pain as she runs and jumps down the streets of Heaven with her golden curls bouncing behind her. She will always be missed.”

At her graveside dozens of butterflies were released in her memory. With a flurry of color and flapping wings, the butterflies took flight into the wide blue sky… all but one lowly butterfly. That butterfly, crippled, with only one wing, found a refuge when it went down into the opened ground and contentedly took its place with Catie.

It is said that when God closes a door he opens a window. One week from the date of Catie’s death, Jenny and Tre, who epitomize strength and faith, welcomed into the world, healthy, Isabella Claire. The resemblance to her sister is striking. Yet she is her own person. Someday when she is old enough to understand, her parents will tell her the story of her brave sister and how she loved so many things; family, pizza, songs by Amy Grant, and especially, butterflies and frogs. She will learn about the wonders of Catie Marie.

*If you’d like to join in the fight in finding a cure for childhood cancer visit Catie’s website at www.caringbridge.org/ga/catie and learn how you can lend your support.

2 comments:

Val said...

This is just a beautiful story. I am the one that has requested an article from you for my blog. Thank you for leaving me the comment on my blog. I love yours! Thanks for sharing. I am marking you as my favorite so I will be checking in from time to time. Thank you for being a new friend. God Bless!

Alice Grace said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I can appreciate your heart-felt comments and wish you well. I also appreciate the friendship my daughter and you have made. You are a wonderful person, and I pray for your comfort.